One of the pumps at a gas station in Sa’anapu was caught on fire late Friday afternoon.
Fortunately no one was injured and damages were limited, says the Police
Deputy Police Commissioner, Auapaau Logoitino Filipo told Radio Polynesia the Police and the Fire Emergency Services Authority are investigating what started the fire.
However witnesses near the area said the pump was caught on fire after a truck full of fishermen left the gas station.
They suspect one of them flicked a live cigarette at the pump, but Police says investigations are underway.
Auapaau said preliminary investigation are underway by Police in Lotofag ana and they are looking at all aspect including suspicion of an electrical issue, but that is unclear until the investigation is completed.
The gas station is owned by Member of Parliament Lea’ana Ronnie Posini.
Efforts were made by Radio Polynesia to get a direct comment from the Member of Parliament but were unsuccessful.